Sunday, December 6, 2009

Makin' Bacon-Quick thoughts, more later

Just got back from Makin' Bacon. More info available here: http://blogs.sfweekly.com/foodie/2009/11/makin_bacon_2.php

The class consisted of demos on making homemade bacon from pork belly with a dry rub. To the dry rub you could add maple syrup or any flavoring you like with pork, sweet or savory. That was followed by 3 kinds of sausage with grinding and stuffing. In general, I thought I learned enough that I would be comfortable trying again on my own or better yet with a group, which is always my goal of this sort of class.

To be honest, I think I am A LOT more likely to make bacon rather than sausage. Not only do I eat bacon and cook with it more often, it is simply easier. Sausage, with the need to chop and grind meat and stuff just seems like a special occasion product. I suppose the easier way would be to just make patties.

We tasted a maple, brown sugar bacon as well as a savory garlic bacon which was wonderful. For sausage we had a sage version, a sweet Italian, and my favorite, an unsmoked andouille. All paired with "Bitch" red wine.

They plan another glass in January so keep an eye out. Once I have it, I'll post a link here.

Does anyone make their own sausage? Do you use a kitchen aid grinder or a stand alone?

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had fun! Next time we'll try to include other tips like baconnaise and bacon infused bourbon. We'll let you have the flyer. Bye!

    ReplyDelete