Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Tercero 2007 Syrah

From the Larner Vineyard in the Santa Ynez Valley, 14.2%.
Sadly, I rsvp'ed too late to be included in part two of Twitter Taste Live, Hospice du Rhone. However, Larry from Tercero graciously sent me a bottle of his syrah so I could join in briefly.
Three coworkers, including the editor of our wine series, joined me in the middle of an office going away party yesterday to sample. I must admit that given the office location our tasting was not as extensive as it could be.
First of all, this is a screw top bottle, which made for many questions about aging.
That aside, we got pepper, fruit and tannins with some acid for balance. California syrah are sometimes too jammy for me, but this had enough balance. We thought it was young, but certainly drinkable now. I must admit that I am still pondering the coworker who suggested pairing with paella.

Tasting it again tonight with better glassware, I am really enjoying this wine. It is still young, but has opened up beautifully in my glass. I'd love to put a few bottles away and see what happens over the next few years. Also, really like to try Larry's grenache.

Info about ttl can be found at http://www.tastelive.com/
Tercero is at http://www.tercerowines.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment