Friday, January 29, 2010

ZAP Good Eats

As most of you know, this is ZAP weekend in San Francisco. Starting Thursday night and lasting through Saturday, there are multiple events around the city celebrating Zinfandel. More details can be found at : http://www.zinfandel.org/default.asp?n1=14&n2=487

This year, for the first time in many years I am attending two ZAP events. Last night was the Good Eats & Zinfandel Pairing events, described by the ZAP folks as:
If you are a devoted foodie with a passion for Zinfandel, make plans to indulge your “inner epicurean” and spend the evening at Good Eats & Zinfandel Pairing! Noteworthy restaurants and award-winning wineries turn the art of food and wine pairing into an entertaining and approachable affair. Talented chefs present the ultimate combination of distinctive tastes, while winery proprietors offer delectable Zinfandels to match.

Since I am attending the Grand Tasting Saturday, (10 am sharp for press and trade), I decided to enjoy rather than take extensive notes. I did want to point out a few highlights that those attending on Saturday might want to keep their eyes out for.
My wine favorites, in no particular order were:
Ridge Lytton Springs, which was no surprise as I had enjoyed it during the TTL last month
Ravenswood Dickerson was a lot of fun as they were pouring both the 97 and the 07. I don't drink a lot of older zin and it was great fun to see how the wine develops over time. I admit to coming back for a few tastes.
Manzanita Creek featured three 07s, Three Vines, Carreras ranch and Alfonso Reserve all of which are worth a stop.
Edmeades deserves a special shout out for their pairing with a "Zinfandel & Pomegranate-Braised Brisket with Berbere Spice, Saffron and Toasted Basmati Rice" one of my favorite tastes of the night.
Other food and pairing highlights were the Pork Tostaditas from Mustards at Outpost and the Pork Belly Sliders at Murphy-Goode.

Although I'm only highlighting a few here, I want to stress that the food at this event is far superior across the board to regular tasting events. This event is also less crowded and chaotic than some and would be a great opportunity to introduce friends to the world of wine tasting.

Now on to Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you dug the sliders! I also tried the Brisket and rice at Edmeades- That was awesome!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete