Sunday, August 8, 2010

Day of the Doon

Apologies for the lack of posting, but I have had a stomach flu. Not that it is true in my case, but I found the old joke: I am just one stomach flu away from my goal weight, running in a loop in my head. One of those weeks.
I did manage to drag myself out of bed for a memorable dinner Wednesday night with Jon Bonne and Terry Theise at Ame. Sometimes, even though you end up back in your sickbed the next day, it is worth getting up. All that I will say, and I could say a lot, is that any man willing to publicly wear a crown handmade by an 8-year-old, is a good person. Perhaps a better person than I am, as I was willing to hide said crown under the table. Instead, I have pictures to delight K.

Yesterday I attended Randall Grahm's annual Day of the Doon Event. I've been before, because as I have mentioned before, I have been a DEWN member since sometime in the early 90s. Under my maiden name at first even. Yesterday's event was at Randall's new property in San Juan Bautista. For more information on that property and many of the other changes going on in Randall's life, do not miss Jon Boone's front page piece in today's Chronicle: http://bit.ly/bjGcup The piece showcases not only the changes with Randall and Bonny Doon, but also Jon's writing talent. Randall describes the new spot as magical, to me the magic is in the possibilities. It is impossible to stand on the hill, open land all around and not imagine what could be. Seeing the first planting only intensifies that feeling.

The event yesterday featured nibbles with sparkling Riesling on the hill with a chance for Randall to talk about his plans for the property. We then walked down and visited their biodynamic compost before heading to their barn for a sit down meal. Food highlights for me we the pig and the panna cotta. Wine highlights included a couple of older vintages of Cigare, 01, 03 and 05. Our table debated our favorite. See the menu below:

It was a wonderful and warm event, with fun companions and a sense of joy and possibility. For me, a highlight was having Randall's daughter, Melie and friends put flowers in my hair. It was one of those moments when life is simply good. A day to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment