• We had salt cod at almost every meal. Many fritters, but also a memorable casserole I sadly did not photograph featuring salt cod, turnip greens, black-eyed peas and bread crumbs. I'll be googling for a recipe.
• Custard: not just the expected individual egg tarts, but also flavored with orange and in cakes.
• Squid and octopus, oh my! Very much highlights at several meals and the star of my favorite meal of the trip.
• Excellent bread, but also many meals served with both excellent rice and roasted potatoes.
• Oranges were growing almost everywhere. Orange juice, along with large quantities of tea, accompanied my breakfast daily.
• Multiple meals were roasted over wood. Made me want to try it in my fireplace at home.
• Ham so good that I wished I could have brought some back to San Francisco with me.
|Not just for show: Pork, rice and potatoes roasting.|
|Salt cod fritters with rosé and cured pork in the background.|
|At Dop in Porto. A silver dollar sized burger.|
|Scallop, mushroom and egg. Plus a perfectly seasoned salad. Also at Dop.|
|Ham at the market in Ponte de Lima|
|Salt cod, also at the market.|
|Beans at the market.|
|My favorite meal of the trip: Octopus and potatoes roasted over a wood fire with lots of olive oil and garlic.|
|Bread with the symbol of Guimarães, the 2012 European Capital of Culture|
|Oranges were everywhere.|