Sunday, January 5, 2014

An Excess of Radishes



I have written before about my love of my Mariquita Mystery Box. I love the variety and quality of the produce, the sometimes conveniently located near K's favorite ice cream shop rotating pick up spots and the fact that it is an opt-in system, so I can skip a week or two with no problem. 

That said, sometimes I get more of one item than I think I can use. This week, that was radishes of all sorts, including green heart and watermelon. As much as I like radishes, and I do like them, four pounds is a lot. What to do? Quick Pickles! 

Quick pickles, unlike the water bath processed pickles I often make, are designed to be kept in the refrigerator and, as the name suggests, are quick and easy. Essentially, you chop vegetables, put them in a jar and then cover them with a brine made from vinegar, a little bit of salt and sugar and herbs and spices of your choice. In this case, I chopped enough radishes (about two pounds) to fill two quart jars. Since I had Mystery Box green garlic on hand, I chopped that and added some to each jar. I then added the two kinds of pepper before covering with a vinegar brine.  Active time? Less than 15 minutes.



Pickled Radishes
Makes one quart 

1 pound radishes
1/2 bunch green garlic (Garlic cloves are an excellent substitute, 3-5 per jar)
1 teaspoon black peppercorns  
1 dried hot peppers(optional)
1 cup vinegar (I used white for one batch and cider for the second)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Wash and chop your radishes and green garlic. Place them in a quart size jar. Add your peppercorns and if using, hot pepper. Combine vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour over the radishes. Seal and allow to cool. Once cool, refrigerate for at least 24 hours before use to allow the flavors to blend.



1 comment:

  1. Hi there,
    This is the second time I contacted you and it is just a follow up. If this message disturbs you, I apologize. I will make sure that this would be my last message that regards to our project.
    We MyTaste.com, one of the biggest recipe search engine in the world, would like to invite your blog to join our site and make your recipes available to many people. If you like it, you can join through this link http://www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog.
    This is one way to share your recipes to the world and it can also help you to increase your blog traffic.

    ReplyDelete